Gutters are an integral part of any roofing system. They collect and move rainwater away from the house, helping prevent water damage. Like other parts of your roofing system, your gutters can develop problems over time if not properly maintained.
Faulty gutters are unable to drain properly and can cause a whole host of problems such as water spilling over in the wrong places, penetrating at the foundation, and backing up into your roof.
Ignoring gutter issues could prove to be a grave mistake. The longer you wait, the worse they get. Unaddressed problems can snowball into major concerns and you may end up with a costly repair.
Before things take a turn for the worse, call your roofing contractor to schedule gutter repair in Marin County. Timely gutter repairs can address existing gutter problems and prevent potential issues.
Repairing Faulty Gutters
Re-hanging, caulking, or re-aligning gutters addresses most gutter problems. Hanging gutters involves replacing hangers and brackets. Your contractor may patch holes or replace broken sections as necessary. If the sections of some gutters are out of alignment, re-align them and restore the slope. This will allow the water to move freely towards the downspout.
In most cases, gutters are caulked. Over time, age-related deterioration can cause the caulk to fail, resulting in leaky gutters that allow water to seep into the roof’s drip edge and fascia. To address the problem, remove damaged caulk, clean the surfaces and apply new caulk.
Signs You Need New Gutters
If you notice the following signs, replace your gutters.
- Cracks: Cracks or fractures defeat the purpose of a gutter system. Small, individual gaps can be repaired; but if your gutters have large gaps, they are beyond saving and should be replaced
- Breaks at the seams: Gutters are joined to each other with airtight seams. If your seams get damaged frequently, consider replacing your gutters. To avoid this problem altogether, many homeowners opt for seamless gutters
- Peeling paint: Paints produced these days are able to withstand wear and tear. Peeling gutter paint or orange flecks can mean that your gutters are unable to move water properly. Peeling paint can also indicate cracks
- Mildew: Mildew is unsightly and smelly. If you notice mildew growing near your foundation, your gutters may be to blame. They may have developed a serious problem and need to be replaced
- Sagging or pulling gutters: This is one of the most obvious signs of gutter damage. Gutters should not sag or pull away from your home. Sagging or pulling can indicate that your gutters are full of water and are not draining properly. This could be due to a blockage. Given the fact that sagging gutters are difficult to repair, it’s a good idea to replace them
ARS Roofing is a reliable roofing company in Marin County. Our specialized knowledge allows us to develop customized roofing solutions for our customers. To learn more, call (707) 584-5900.