When was the last time you climbed atop your house to remove debris from your roof?
Many people don’t realize that by maintaining their roof on a regular basis they can extend their roof’s lifespan by 5-10 years or longer.
Let’s say that you purchased the installation of a composition roof with a 40-year lifespan. Did you know that your beautiful, new roof may only last 30 or even 20 years unless you inspect it regularly? Did you know that most manufacturers “require” routine maintenance such as clearing debris that can accumulate on your roof and gutters, inspecting and sealing your penetrations, and simply inspecting for any damage from acts of nature?
Protecting the eaves is also important. This portion of the roof – it hangs over your house to protect the siding and walls from water damage – takes the brunt of cold weather, hail, and rain and it also can collect debris. Eaves tend to have warping problems, as well, so it’s important to check them each time you clean your gutters.
7 Roof Maintenance Tips
You can extend the life of your roof by inspecting it every six months and taking the following steps.
- Brush leaves and debris from your roof’s valleys and gutters.
- Repair leaks right away. Leaks can damage ceilings and walls in your home.
- Inspect for missing, damaged or curling shingles and other signs of wear. If you have a tile roof, inspect it for cracked or broken tile.
- Check for fungus or algae.
- Inspect metal areas for rust such as your pipe flashings and gutters.
- Inspect and seal any cracked mortar or caulking around joints, penetrations and chimneys.
If you prefer not to be up on your roof, we would be more than happy to do this for you at “no charge.”
I Need a New Roof! 7 Tips to Keep in Mind
When your roof is beyond the repair stage, select your roofer carefully. Here are some suggestions on how to find the best roofer in your community.
- Don’t rush into a decision to replace your roof when all it needs is a few repairs.
- Check the companies’ references and client testimonials. If you belong to a chamber, ask other members whether they have used the company you’re considering.
- Make certain your hire a licensed, bonded and insured contractor. You can easily check online at www.cslb.ca.gov. This will also tell you what the contractor is licensed for. For example we are licensed for the following:
- C-39 Roofing
- C-61/D24/C43 Gutter Fabrication, Metal Products
- C-33 Painting and Decorating
- Ask about the different types of roofs the company can install. Discuss which type of roof – tile, composition, single ply – would work best for your house and neighborhood.
- Request a written contract. Pay close attention to the warranty terms.
- Never pay cash.
- Don’t make your final payment until you’re 100% satisfied with the contractor’s work.
Alternative Roofing Solutions is recognized as one of the top roofing contractors in Northern California. We have a proven track record of being on time and on budget and we are fully bonded, licensed and insured for your protection. Our installers are factory-trained and authorized for most major manufacturers. We provide services in Santa Rosa, Novato, San Rafael, Windsor, Petaluma, Sebastopol, Rohnert Park, Mill Valley and all surrounding areas as well. Be sure to check the client testimonials page on our website.
Don’t let this happen to you!